Awakening Minds, Raw Art & A Mother's Wish
My name is Choo Kah Ying. I am a writer/educator, recovered sufferer of manic-depression, and homeschooler of Jean-Sebastien Choo. Sebastien is moderately autistic with significant delays in language. Both of these conditions have inspired me to create Awakening Minds. Its aim is to raise awareness on autism and mood disorders through my books, articles, learning materials, talks, workshops, and consultations.
Despite all the progress that Sebastien and I have made during the eight years of our homeschooling life, he is unlikely to achieve independent functioning in mainstream society. Therefore, before I pass on, it is my dream to offer Sebastien and others like him a strong and loving community that will engage them with a well-rounded programme on a daily basis. This is why I have started A Mother’s Wish that has been principally funded by sales of Sebastien’s water colour paintings — Raw Art.
AUGUST 2014 UPDATE *NEW*
With the awesome support of almost new groups of participants with autism (aged 6–20), families & their helpers, service providers, and volunteers, we completed our second “A Mother’s Wish” holiday programme! Our participants took part in the following activities:
This time around, our challenge was amplified in the following ways:
- Guiding different groupings of six participants for each of the six activities;
- Organising six, instead of five, activities; and
- Coordinating a higher number of parents/helpers, volunteers, and new service providers (SPs).
These changes are part and parcel of our endeavour to improve the holiday programme format and reach out to more families, SPs, and volunteers.
Despite the slight changes in our holiday programme format, the spirit of A Mother’s Wish continues to be affirmed:
With diverse members of the community sharing in the
collective caregiving of our participants with autism,
we can provide them with a meaningful life of dignity and
support their families.
Support A Mother’s Wish Holiday Programme!
- The costs of this holiday programme are partially covered by “A Mother’s Wish” fund. Sebastien, my son with autism, is a key contributor to this fund through his donations of 30% of the sales of his affordable original paintings to this fund and 90% of the sales of merchandise/corporate gifts featuring his artwork.
We would also like to contribute to your fundraising effort!
- Learn more about A Mother’s Wish: We would love to reach out to families with autistic children and members of the community to be part of A Mother’s Wish experience!